Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PCC wills indexing (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27323)

Merry 13-01-19 10:24

PCC wills indexing

I hadn't noticed this before....

I was looking for a PCC will on Ancestry but couldn't find it. Looked at the entry for it on the TNA index (Rev John Morewood, West Hallam Derbyshire proved 8 May 1828) and noticed they now have preview images for their wills. Of course they may have had these for ages as usually I just use Ancestry!

Anyway the preview images were v useful as I looked at the first and end page images and on the end page image I could see the name of the following testator. Searched that name on Ancestry, and then skipped back to the beginning of the previous will; the one I wanted. I still don't know how Ancestry have indexed it, but never mind!

kiterunner 13-01-19 10:28

I think that must be new, Merry. I haven't noticed it before and I often search on TNA first so I know whether there should be one on ancestry.

kiterunner 13-01-19 10:35

Ancestry have indexed him as The Reverend John Morwood but have the probate date as 6th May 1828 instead of 8th May 1828. I've put corrections in.

Merry 13-01-19 11:15

Thanks Kate. I thought it must be there.

Having failed with searching the probate date I did search year of death 1828 with West Hallam Derbyshire in the keywords. This would have made the entry appear back in the days when Ancestry's search facility worked properly!

kiterunner 13-01-19 11:29

Strangely enough, if I do that search, it finds him!

Kit 13-01-19 12:32

It's been there at least a few weeks Merry, the TNA preview. It must be improving as I don't think I could really read anything the first time I saw it.

I mainly tend to use the TNA to see if there is a will then go looking on ancestry.

Merry 13-01-19 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 356064)
Strangely enough, if I do that search, it finds him!

Do you get other matches as well? When I do that search I get nothing at all (in any category).

NickiP 13-01-19 14:11

The Wills preview on the TNA site has been there since at least July 2018 as it was drawn to my attention on another forum when I was having issues finding a PCC Will on Ancestry.

kiterunner 13-01-19 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merry (Post 356074)
Do you get other matches as well? When I do that search I get nothing at all (in any category).

Ah, I see. I get no matches at all (except family trees) if I use those search terms in the main search form for the whole site, but if I search the PCC wills only, it finds him.

Merry 13-01-19 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiterunner (Post 356080)
Ah, I see. I get no matches at all (except family trees) if I use those search terms in the main search form for the whole site, but if I search the PCC wills only, it finds him.

Ah, OK!