Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   John Schofield (FMMMF) (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8527)

Mary from Italy 20-02-11 19:02

John Schofield (FMMMF)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
John Schofield

Date and place of birth
Lancashire, c. 1791. Exact place unknown.

Names of parents
Not known

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Jane Clayton at Manchester Cathedral, Lancashire on 3rd February 1827

Occupation(s) - if any
Spinner

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1834-41: Fleet Street, Manchester, Lancashire

Date, place and cause of death

Not known, but probably in Manchester between 1841 and 1851 (when his wife is shown as a widow).

Date and place of burial
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
None found, but unlikely to have left a will.

Memorial inscription - if any
Not known

The only information I have about John comes from his marriage in 1827, his daughter Mary's baptism in 1834, and the 1841 census. His wife Jane was born in Warrington, Lancashire, so he may also have come from there. Jane was living in Hulme, Manchester in 1851, so I assume John died in Manchester.

Unfortunately Schofield is a very common name in Lancashire, so it's impossible to guess which of the many deaths between 1841 and 1851 might be his.

JayG 20-02-11 19:16

Searching on LancsBMD for deaths in Manchester region this one is a possible

John Schofield aged 55
1845 Manchester, sub district Market Street
MST/21/250

Even searching on all death on LancsBMD most if not all have aged so you might be able to come up with a managable list of possibles.

JayG 20-02-11 19:23

Can't spot them in 1841 to check if Fleet Street is in Market Street registration district.

kiterunner 20-02-11 23:18

The National Archives gives the references for Fleet Street in 1841 as HO107/570 book number 15, folios 5-13, 26-34, 45.

kiterunner 20-02-11 23:22

So they are on folio 11, page 15, name corrected from Schafred to Schofield on ancestry. Deansgate district 32. His age has been transcribed as 30 instead of 50 on ancestry.

Mary from Italy 21-02-11 01:02

That's right, I corrected the name after Elizabeth kindly found them for me in the TOGG2 thread about his daughter. Although the correction shows up, the name doesn't come up if you search for Schofield, though.

Mary from Italy 21-02-11 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 115650)
Searching on LancsBMD for deaths in Manchester region this one is a possible

John Schofield aged 55
1845 Manchester, sub district Market Street
MST/21/250

Even searching on all death on LancsBMD most if not all have aged so you might be able to come up with a managable list of possibles.

Ooh, thanks, I didn't realise it showed ages - I'd been looking on FreeBMD, which doesn't for that period.

I guess that one in Market street's a possibility; however, Jane was in Hulme in 1851, so he might have died there, and it hasn't been indexed by LancsBMD yet.