Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Family History News and Information (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   British Newspaper Archive (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12607)

Guinevere 29-11-11 06:35

British Newspaper Archive

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Visit the Website and Discover Millions of Amazing Stories
The British Newspaper Archive is free to search, so why not visit the website and discover some of the wonderful stories that this digital Sheherazade is waiting to tell the world...

kiterunner 29-11-11 08:01

Thanks for that, Gwynne. Did you get an email about it? I haven't had one. Also do you know whether any papers have been added to it since the beta test?

WendyPusey 29-11-11 11:17

Too expensive for me.

Phoenix 29-11-11 12:41

Well, that's a flipping waste of space!

If I search for Skillings, I also get Skill and Skilled. If I show those in the "Not" box I get no results at all!

As "George Lanning" produces every George Inn in the country, there are a lot of errors to wade through!

kiterunner 29-11-11 15:17

Don't forget a lot of the papers included on the new site are also on the 19th century British Newspapers database but the searches are different.

Phoenix 29-11-11 17:32

I know, I know. There is new stuff there, but the searches are turning up so much dross.

anne fraser 29-11-11 18:05

I seem to have been lucky I paid my £6.00 for two days and found a lot of reports about my Wilton family who owned the pub in Kelston near Bath. Mainly chitchat about my grandfather who was a market gardener donating the flowers for the harvest festival and his sister playing the piano for various social events but still interesting background. My greatgrandmother who was my maiden namesake was fined 10 shillings for selling beer in unmarked earthenware pots. Also a report of the family attending a party to mark the end of the Boer war and all the children being given a silver sixpence.

I have found an obituary for an ancestor who died aged 81 in 1828. " ...removed by a gradual decay of nature without violent pain or lingering disease his hoary head was a crown of glory and his end was peaceful and happy."

maggie_4_7 30-11-11 17:37

I've found quite a bit of stuff.

I'm a bit bemused at their charging structure £6.95 for 500 credits for two days bearing in mind that most of what I've downloaded is 10 or 5 credits each document it seems a bit weird to put a timescale on it. There isn't anyway I'll be able to use 500 credits in two days!

anne fraser 30-11-11 17:48

Same here. I have quite a few unused credits if anyone wants me to look for an unusual name.

maggie_4_7 30-11-11 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne fraser (Post 164780)
Same here. I have quite a few unused credits if anyone wants me to look for an unusual name.

Me too I assume they run out after 48 hours.