Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Research Questions (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Should I get the cert, but which one. (http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27920)

crawfie 23-07-19 22:41

Should I get the cert, but which one.

For years I have been trying to find the death of Martha Anne Brown, nee Johnson, known as Annie, my GGM. Last confirmed sighting was in Nottingham in 1901, with 6 of her children. No sign of her in 1911, all the children have been accounted for, she is not at the address of the 1901. I have checked all the possible deaths for Martha Anne/Martha/Anne/Annie Brown between the dates of 1901-1911, have sent off for a couple of death certificates of possibles but have found no trace of her.

There was a possibility (from an old, slightly garbled family story) that she might have remarried, and I found the marriage in 1906 between Thomas Temperton and Annie Brown. In 1911 Thomas Temperton is a widower, living with his 24 year old son. He is 57 years old, which would make him around the same age as Annie. I then found a death for a Martha Anne Temperton in 1910, aged 55. Although the age is a few years out for my Annie (she had already lopped off a couple by 1901) I am wondering if this could be her.

Would a death cert give the names of all previous husbands, or would it be worth it to get the marriage certificate. As far as I can tell there are no online records for Nottingham that could help me, and i couldn't find any newspaper entries for them.

Thanks.

Phoenix 24-07-19 06:41

As it is a direct ancestor you have been looking for for years, I'd get the marriage certificate. That would definitely confirm whether you have the right person.

One of my direct ancestors had a death cert which said Sarah, widow of William. I rejected this because her husband was called James. What I did not know was that she had been living after her husband's death (out of wedlock) to a man called William and reverted to her married surname after he died.

You can speak for yourself at your wedding. Others guess things after you have died.

kiterunner 24-07-19 08:35

A death cert would only give the name of the latest husband anyway.

crawfie 24-07-19 20:55

Thanks for your replies. I have now sent off for the marriage certificate, fingers crossed it is her.

crawfie 01-08-19 12:23

Marriage cert arrived today - and it is her!! So pleased to have finally tracked her down, it has been something I have been looking for for the past 10 years. I can finally enter her date of death. Woohoo!

Kit 01-08-19 12:25

Woohoo!! It's wonderful to break down a brick wall.

Merry 01-08-19 15:22

Excellent! Well done :):):)

HarrysMum 03-08-19 13:02

Pleased you found her.......also very pleased our Aussie certs have much more info than English ones.

Kit 07-08-19 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrysMum (Post 361828)
Pleased you found her.......also very pleased our Aussie certs have much more info than English ones.

We are but it is such a shock when we need a UK one.