PDA

View Full Version : Birth in Russia 1895

Uncle John
04-07-10, 19:59
I've just discovered the bap. in St. Petersburg of a previously unknown son of a Scottish couple who went to St. Petersburg to help start a thread factory. I found the bap. on the IGI pilot site.

Charles David RIDDEL bap. 20 Oct. 1895 St. Petersburg Russia, parents Charles Robert Riddel and Jessie McGill. The source is given as England and Wales non con baptisms RG33_144. I've tried without success to find his birth in the overseas BMDs on familyrelatives.com. Can anyone else find him please, and any trace of the family's journey to Russia?

kiterunner
04-07-10, 22:23
They may not have bothered to register his birth with the consul in which case it wouldn't be on the overseas births register. I'm not sure whether there will be any trace of their journey to Russia either but I'll have a look.

Edit - D'oh, just realised if they were Scottish then the birth might be on Scotland's People "minor records".

kiterunner
04-07-10, 22:25
No, he doesn't come up on the Minor Records.

kiterunner
04-07-10, 22:27
And I can't see them on the findmypast passenger lists, but as I said, I don't think there would be many passenger lists for trips to Russia.

Mary from Italy
05-07-10, 00:10
The baptism's on the BMDRegisters site:

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

You'll need to get some credits to view it; it's usually best to get the image rather than the transcription, because the image sometimes contains additional information.

When you search, don't tick the "exact match" box unless you type in the full name, otherwise the hit won't come up.

Uncle John
05-07-10, 13:47
Thanks for all your help. I'm happy with the level of detail I've already found, though I know of closer relatives who might be interested in knowing more.