Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 03-10-14, 11:57

Loved it! I would have found it interesting anyway but this had a personal twist for me. My gt grandfather George Beaumont was the same age as Daniel Doyle, joined the army aged 18 in the same year as Daniel and was immediately sent to India. He was a cavalryman and took part in the relief of Lucknow and also the relief of Dehli. He was also court martialled several times (like Daniel) and reduced from sergeant to private. He was 18 years older than my gt grandmother who he seems to have met when he came back to England after spending 10 years in India. I have never found a marriage record for them and we often wondered if George has left a wife in India. Nothing has ever turned up to support that theory either but I still wonder. The similarities with Daniel Doyle's story had me spellbound for the entire programme. Best of the series so far for me!
Old 03-10-14, 14:09

That was a great episode - ticked lots of boxes. There was a flavour of the original remit in that concepts of identity and heritage were challenged - albeit gently. Billy thought he was Scottish with some Irish roots, yet discovered he had Indian ancestry, too (echos of Alistair McGowan?), which he embraced.

I found it refreshing Billy didn't judge the past based on current concepts of morality and that he couldn't wait to tell his children about the discoveries.
Old 03-10-14, 16:12
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
That was a great episode - ticked lots of boxes. There was a flavour of the original remit in that concepts of identity and heritage were challenged - albeit gently. Billy thought he was Scottish with some Irish roots, yet discovered he had Indian ancestry, too (echos of Alistair McGowan?), which he embraced.

I found it refreshing Billy didn't judge the past based on current concepts of morality and that he couldn't wait to tell his children about the discoveries.
I haven't watched it yet but when I read the posts regarding India and McGowan I immediately thought of Alastair McGowan's WDYTYA too.
Old 03-10-14, 20:36
maggie_4_7

I just finished watching this episode - hey the Big Yin from Glasgow is now part Indian and he loved it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it but I always enjoy watching Billy whatever he's in.
Old 05-10-14, 10:11

Like Ann, I loved the Indian part of this. OH's gggfther was at Cawnpoor & Lucknow. We have a bloodstained family bible (unrelated family) picked up at one of the sites and a mounted piece of shell with a plaque explaining it had shattered the scabbard of the rellie but not hurt him. The bible's family seems to have died out or I would have contacted them with pics of it.
Old 05-10-14, 12:31

I enjoyed this very much. Billy has an infectious enthusiasm for life and a genuine interest in people. I knew a bit about the Indian Mutiny from school, but they certainly didn't teach us about the atrocities committed by the British, a shameful fact of our history. I also liked the fact Billy was surprised about his ancestor being drunk and having syphilis, both of which were rife in the Army!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 25-11-14, 13:00

Only just watched tthis episode and I really enjoyed it. Have an ancestor who was despatched to India with his regiment in during the mutiny but not sure if he arrived in time to take part.