Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-06-22, 21:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaquiere Talbot View Post
Also 1807 seems a very busy year for Thomas Ajax Anderson. He gains a daughter (Julia), loses a wife (Julia Sr), finds a new wife (Sarah Hollowell), gets thrown out of the 19th Foot, goes on long leave to England, transfers to the 60th Rifles (who are not even in India at this date) and then seems to return to Ceylon where he continues in the British Army with his new wife and family!
It was not unusual for a man to remarry pretty soon after a wife's death, perhaps especially if there was a baby and / or young children who needed looking after.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-06-22, 02:25

Two of his poems mention Julia. One I suspect is after her death when he writes a poem to possibly her sister Camilla saying how much she reminds him of his beloved Julia. The issue of Julia Jr's birth in Lahore in 1807 still bothers me. Anderson never seems to be posted to Lahore and its a hell of a long way from Ceylon by bullock cart! Just to get there, have a baby and get back to Ceylon for her christening in 1808 just seems so unlikely. And yet it is clearly stated on her death certificate! Another mystery!
Old 10-06-22, 16:15
Administrator

You said that before about her death certificate, but as I said the last time, place of birth wasn't a requirement for death registrations in England/Wales until the 1960s, so I don't understand how that information came to be included? Which column is it in?

It does say Lahore on the UK census though. Of course many people didn't know their place of birth or were mistaken.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-06-22, 20:28

1: I found the Julia Jr Holland birth reference: "Julia was born in Holland "according to another tree holder who has mislaid the research"! See Thomas Dunn of Glaven tree!
2: The 1881 Census has her as: " Name: Julia Talbot Age74. Estimated Birth Year 1807. Relationship to Head Lodger. Gender Female. Where born Lahore, India. Civil parish Paddington County/Island London Country England Street Address 61 Hereford Rd Marital Status Widow Occupation Independant Registration district Kensington Sub registration district St Mary Paddington
2: Julia Jr's death notices (together with those of her son-in-law Colonel Wemyss Smith who was buried the same day): Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
... 30, Norhbam-road, Oxford, Colonel Wemyss Smith, of the Bengal Staff Corps, Retired List, aged 60. Julia, wife of the late Henry Christian Talbot, late Major of 61st Regiment, East India Army, fell asleep on 3 July 22nd, at 30, Norham-road, ...

Published: Saturday 28 July 1888
Newspaper: Oxford Journal
County: Oxfordshire, England
Type: FamilyNotice | Words: 4587 | Page: 5 | Tags: Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
Old 10-06-22, 22:19
Administrator

So, nothing on the death certificate then?

1) Irrelevent if no proof available.

2) Information probably supplied by Julia herself, but did she know her birthplace?

3) The Oxford Journal 28 July 1888 doesn't mention where Julia was born.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-06-22, 19:32

1: Lahore? Very strange! She was baptised and brought up in Colombo and all her half siblings lived with her there. She must have known she was from Ceylon. Was she hiding her mother's background?
2: I think you are too nice about Thomas Ajax! Julia's daughter Julia Anderson and Sarah's daughter Caroline Anderson were baptised together!
3: Merry I have been entering all your Hunter data for which manty thanks but cannot find the marriage between Charles Hunter and Elizabeth Mclellan in c 1767?
Old 13-06-22, 21:34
Administrator

Quote:
2: I think you are too nice about Thomas Ajax!
I don't know what you mean?

Quote:
cannot find the marriage between Charles Hunter and Elizabeth Mclellan in c 1767?
No, I couldn't find it either. Not all records survive though.

Old 14-06-22, 02:33

"Poems, written chiefly in India" By Thomas Ajax Anderson shows him as "late paymaster and Adjutant to a Corps of Pioneers on Ceylon" "
"I envy still thy spicy shores, In fancy view the form my soul adores, And muse upon my Julia's last farewell !"
Old 18-06-22, 02:37

Rather shocked to see that Thomas Ajax departed to UK on long "Home Leave" for three years! on 1st October 1807 leaving his new wife Sarah Hollowell (married in May 1807) pregnant with their 1st daughter Caroline to also look after his two infant children Emma & Julia from his recently deceaesed 1st wife Julia ?? who died in the spring thus missing the christening of both Julia and Caroline in April 1808. Not a father role model! However he was a poet!
Old 18-06-22, 09:31
Administrator

I don't think fathers had much to do with bringing up young children in those days.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update