Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 10-02-19, 17:14

Default Newbie requesting guidance

Hi - looks like a great forum, been perusing a bunch of postings, great community!

About 25 years ago I started my genealogy project and used a PC LDS software package to manage my research. Unfortunately I put it down and that computer is no longer available but I have many notes, etc. So I see there are a myriad of options on the web - can't wait to dig in!

I'd like people's opinions on where to begin with creating a family tree. Looks like there are dozens of sites to do this - what are some favorites? I don't want to make anything public at this point and I'm not too interested in a paid site either. Any favorites out there?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-02-19, 18:16

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

I call myself Phoenix because of the number of computers I've killed. I feel your pain. Having just got my DNA results, I am deeply distrustful of online trees, even private ones, because of the amount of information you can unwittingly betray.

I use Legacy, and I tend not to update it as they seem to reduce the facilities with each update. (I started with PAF, years ago)

Data can be moved from one programme to another as a gedcom file, so you could try a few freebie programs, just to see how you get on with them. I think we all have our own favourites.

One warning about Legacy: I had images attached, which were saved in a different part of my computer. When my computer died, I retreived the data, but lost all the images.
Old 10-02-19, 18:21
Administrator

You can build a free tree on sites such as ancestry.com and make it private. I built my original tree on Genes Reunited but would not recommend it. Now I have a tree on ancestry and also Family Tree Maker on my computer.

If you do decide to build a tree on a website rather than on your own computer, make sure the site will allow you to download a GEDCOM file which you can then use to copy your tree to another site or into software on your computer. Same goes for any free tree-building software that you use - I used to have a free version of Family Tree Maker which wouldn't let me export a GEDCOM.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-02-19, 11:40

I paid for FTM but use it offline. I find it easy to use. I had PAF but it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 11-02-19, 21:30

I love Legacy and have both the free version and paid one. The free one has been just as good for me and i have about five different trees going. You can also buy Families. If you have an ipad or iphone which will sync with Legacy on wifi to take your tree anywhere witjout your computer or laptop.
Old 12-02-19, 21:48

I also used to use PAF, but now use the free version of Legacy, which I'm quite happy with.
Old 13-02-19, 20:13

Thanks all!