Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 02-06-22, 20:26
Administrator

In post #124 I found six children for Robert Hunter and Elizabeth Inglis:

John b 1734

Anne Gordon b 1735

Jane b 1736, d 1823

Robert b 1738

Alexander b 1739, d 1782

Charles b 1740, d bfr 1787

So, we know that Jane, Alexander and Charles lived to adulthood. I've now just found this burial record, but unfortunately there's no first name, so it could be for John, Robert or Anne, but could also be for another child:

Record set Scotland, Parish Deaths & Burials 1564-2017
Subcategory Parish Burials
Burial date 18 May 1747
First name(s) -
Last name Hunter
Archive reference OPR 685_1/94
Birth year -
Next of kin relationship Child of
Next of kin name Mr Hunter
Occupation Professor of greek
Place Edinburgh

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-06-22, 20:30
Administrator

Quote:
there are scanned documents in his Ancestry gallery
Sorry, which tree is that on?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-06-22, 02:44

Sorry: "Talbot of Stone Castle"
Old 03-06-22, 08:19
Administrator

Thanks.

I looked at the gallery and read the doc from the Colombo Diocesan Office which reported on the baptism of Julia in 1808 and stated that the mother's name was not given. I couldn't find any document regarding the first marriage or the birth of Emma in 1804.

I presume you had them look for these records, so I would think if the Diocesan Office couldn't find them, you may be out of luck.

Also:

Quote:
Ancestry also has a new post re Julia Sr: "Born in Holland on ABT 1780. Julia NA married Thomas Ajax Anderson and had 2 children. She passed away on 1807 in Ceylon." But I can't find the source! Maybe Dutch or, more likely, "Dutch Burgher"?
I don't know what you mean by, "Ancestry also has a new post" - Please can you give a link to it?

Old 03-06-22, 19:47

SERAPHINA DONCLERE: The mysterious Seraphina Donclere was my 3rd great grandmother. She had a relationship with my 3rd great grandfather Lt-Col Dunbar James Hunter of the 19th Regiment of Foot aka “The Green Howards” in Ceylon from about 1800 to his death in 1803. They had one child my 2nd great grandmother Charlotte Hunter who was born in Trincomalee in 1802. However I have never found in my brief research another “Donclere” anywhere in the world! This cannot be a unique surname. One possible clue is that in Ceylon (first colonized by the Portuguese, then the Dutch then the British) the Portuguese honorific title prefix "Dom", originally applied to nobles and churchmen, caught on in Ceylon by undergoing a slight change to "Don" to precede the proper names of local men including Singhalese (aka “Indiacatos”) mixed race (aka "Mestiços") or pure Portuguese (aka "Castiços”). Many of these families were known as “Burghers” (as in Holland). So could my “Donclere” really be “Don Clere”? If so the “Clere” name could come from anywhere in the world as Ceylon in 1800 was a huge “melting pot” of nationalities. Can anyone else find another “Donclere”?
Richard Talbot
[email protected]
Old 05-06-22, 02:44

Born in Holland on ABT 1780. Julia NA married Thomas Ajax Anderson and had 2 children. She passed away on 1807 in Ceylon.
Old 05-06-22, 08:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaquiere Talbot View Post
Born in Holland on ABT 1780. Julia NA married Thomas Ajax Anderson and had 2 children. She passed away on 1807 in Ceylon.
Yes, that's what you said before, but I've found it now, here's the link:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...71816657/facts

So, are you referring to the 'Suggested Biography' under 'Facts' on the left?

I have never created a tree on Ancestry, so don't know anything about the workings of trees or how they are created. I expect other people on GF will know though.

However, doesn't the Suggested Biography just come from the Facts information, which in this case are not facts at all, just ideas? e.g. no one is saying there is proof she was born in Holland in 1780, just that that is a possible scenario.

Old 05-06-22, 11:45
Administrator

Yes, it sounds like something which Ancestry has just put together based on members' trees.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-06-22, 20:27

Agreed but intriguing given the Dutch Burgher history in Ceylon? Her eldest daughter Emma Anderson was born in Ceylon in 1804. I must say I find Lahore a strange place of birth for Julia Anderson. Especially when she is christened back in Ceylon in 1808. However her death certificate is very clear and her daughter must have known her history. However Lahore is a long way from Ceylon especially for a pregnant woman in those days! And why on earth would Julia Sr go there? Anderson does not seem to be posted there. Also 1807 seems a very busy year for Thomas Ajax Anderson. He gains a daughter (Julia), loses a wife (Julia Sr), finds a new wife (Sarah Hollowell), gets thrown out of the 19th Foot, goes on long leave to England, transfers to the 60th Rifles (who are not even in India at this date) and then seems to return to Ceylon where he continues in the British Army with his new wife and family! My wild guess is Julia Sr is like Seraphina a Dutch Burger and not married to Anderson. Strange times. But don't forget he was a poet! As for Julia Anderson she did marry my 2nd great-grandfather Capt. Henry Christian Talbot in Calcutta in 1825. They lived in India and had many children. After her husband died in Mussoorie she lived with her daughter Emily Frances Talbot who married Colonel Wemyss Smith and, when they retired, returned to Oxford with them where she died in 1888 on the same day as Wemyss Smith. Being Scottish they saved money by having a 2 for 1 funeral!
Old 06-06-22, 21:44
Administrator

Quote:
I must say I find Lahore a strange place of birth for Julia Anderson. Especially when she is christened back in Ceylon in 1808. However her death certificate is very clear and her daughter must have known her history.
I don't understand what you mean about Julia's death certificate - her place of birth was not something that the informant would have to provide in 1888. Having said that, the 1881 census does say Lahore, India for her place of birth.

Have you actually seen a copy of the Colombo baptism register Ref Vol 22/60?