Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-07-20, 05:04

hi merry , i don't know anything for definite if the family in liverpool if it's them are not as i agree , with you as they would have been in Ireland if that was their family . But i wanted to check another scenario. just to make sure .As the ones you found in post 60 seem correct . But if there son John was born in Ireland . he isn't on that list . so it may not be them .
Old 15-07-20, 05:55

the list of people on the census 1841 , mary barratt is 20 richard Is 30 .
Old 15-07-20, 06:06

we know that william walker was born in pemberton in 1817 to Richard Walker and ellen Gaskell. christening allsaints wigan 1st march 1818 so we know that's him .
Old 15-07-20, 07:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
we know that william walker was born in pemberton in 1817 to Richard Walker and ellen Gaskell. christening allsaints wigan 1st march 1818 so we know that's him .
We know the baptism in 1818 is your William and we know a Willam is living with Mary who was previously Mrs Barrett and originally Mary Lee from Ireland. What we don't know is whether this William Walker is the same person as the 1818 baptism. As I said before in post #61, without this William's marriage cert it's probably going to be very difficult to prove he is your William. As a very minimum, you need to eliminate the other William Walker baptised in Wigan a couple of years after your William (post #61).

Also, going back to Richard and Ellen's settlement document - you never said which part of it you couldn't read. I'm posting the image here to be sure we are talking about the same document as in post #54 you said it wasn't typed, but most of this one is!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-07-20, 07:18

Merry i couldn't read some of it , when i said it wasn't a typed document i did mean a modern copy . you know we can't all be as good as you when we are doing this . i am a novice . Just trying my best with the search engines i use . No doubt you can bring up documents that i can't . But i do appreciate your help .
Old 15-07-20, 07:20
Administrator

I'm only asking you which part you can't read, and if this is the right document. If you tell me which part you can't read I can type it out. Remember I'm only a typing novice with my three fingers!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-07-20, 09:17
Administrator

Technically, it isn't typed but typeset!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-07-20, 09:27
Administrator

Since I can touch-type, lol!

County of Lancaster, to wit.
To the Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Township of Pemberton in the said County of Lancaster, and to the Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Township of Upholland in the said County and to each and every of them.
UPON the Complaint of the Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor of the said Township of Pemberton unto us whose Names are hereunto set and Seals affixed, being two of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace and Quorum in and for the said County of Lancaster, That Richard Walker and Ellen his Wife and their five Chidlren to wit, Cecily aged fifteen years or thereabouts Margaret aged nine years or thereabouts Jane aged six years or thereabouts, James aged three years or thereabouts and William aged two years or thereabouts
have come to inhabit in the said Township of Pemberton not having gained a legal Settlement there; nor produced any Certificate owning them to be settled elsewhere; and that the said Richard Walker and his said Wife and their said Children are become actually chargeable to the said Township of Pemberton We the said Justices, upon due Proof made thereof, as well upon the Examination of the said Richard Walker upon Oath, as otherwise, and likewise upon due Consideration had of the Premises, do adjudge the same to be true; and we do likewise adjudge, that the lawful Settlement of them the said Richard Walker and his said Wife and their said Children is in the said Township of Upholland in the said County of Lancaster. We do therefore require you the said Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor of the said Township of Pemberton or some or one of you, forthwith to convey the said Richard Walker and his said Wife and their said Children from and out of your said Township of Pemberton to the said Township of Upholland and them to deliver to the Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor there, or to some or one of them, together with this our Order, or a true Copy thereof, at the same Time shewing to them the Original; And we do also hereby require you the said Church-wardens and Overseers of the Poor of the said Township of Upholland to receive and provide for them as Inhabitants of your said Township GIVEN under our Hands and Seals, the twenty-fifth Day of June in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and nineteen.
James Alexr Hodson (Seal)
J Bevan (Seal)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-07-20, 09:30
Administrator

Fair enough - I was only trying to establish whether we were both looking at the same document. I don't even know that the one Qwackers has is from Ancestry.

Thanks for typing it out anyway, Kate.

Old 16-07-20, 05:17

a big thanks to Kiterunner for your typing . I'm afraid my eyes have deteriorated during lockdown . Looking at the document makes me feel so sad , that the family were treated like a piece of rubbish to be moved at will ,As i thought that ellen's parents were living in Pemberton . and they probably wanted to settle near them . Although it's only a few miles away to Upholland it would have been a big upheaval nether the less . .But it looks like it was the norm for that time ,