Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-07-18, 08:27

Well done everyone! Someone should direct Olivia Colman to this thread.....and the researchers and producers of WDYTYA!
Old 13-07-18, 08:39

Maggie, yes, Doncler would work as a Dutch name, there was a large Dutch presence.

OC
Old 13-07-18, 08:42

I found a small mention on BNA - it seems there was a case in chancery regarding Seraphina's will. It was in a list of cases outstanding from September 1880 that had not been dealt with in the 15 years preceeding that date. Interestingly the case was Hunter v. Andrews - I wonder if it has anything to do with Charlotte Hunter.

The article is in Reynolds Newspaper, Sunday 17 Dec 1882 on page 4 - Notices to correspondents top of column 2.

I haven't been able to find anything else on this chancery case.
Old 13-07-18, 08:47

I was looking on the National Archives website for clues but nothing so far. However, there was another Chancery case involving Harriet Elizabeth Slessor and Louisa Girardot.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C9052187
Old 13-07-18, 08:52

Just a note that Louisa Girardot's maiden name was Bristow (which we already knew). This is mentioned in her will.

Another Chancery case:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C9584925

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 13-07-18 at 09:05.
Old 13-07-18, 08:57

Ooh found something. Charlotte's father was Dunbar James Hunter who died in Ceylon in 1806. His will is on Ancestry and he leaves everything to his daughter Charlotte, and £50 to Charlotte's mother Seraphina Doncler, and names his mother and brother as her guardians

He names William Andrews a Executor. There is then a further paragraph detailing (I think) the reasons for the dispute to Chancery.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
Old 13-07-18, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It looks as though Mordaunt Ricketts Esqr was a local bigwig, and he also had at least one illegitimate child, according to the British in India cards on FMP. I haven't figured out whether he was related to Seraphina or William yet.

I went back to the episode and looked at the passenger list which they showed for Harriot's journey to England in 1811 - remember they were saying there was no servant shown as looking after her, so maybe one of the mothers on the voyage was asked to keep an eye on her? Well, it could just be a coincidence, but she is shown as landing at Longreach 20th May, along with three Hunter children (Oswald 5, Jacob 2, and Andrew 1). And there is a servant, Massey Williams, listed as looking after the "Hunters". Could they be related to Seraphina's daughter Charlotte Hunter? There are also some Crommelins listed, and Mordaunt Ricketts married a Crommelin in 1811. So I should think there were some people on board who knew Harriot quite well.

I haven't managed to find that passenger list online yet to view it in full. Nor the records of who paid for passage - would like to see who paid for the Hunter children.
The Crommelins and Girardots were connected:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C10403713
Old 13-07-18, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfie View Post
Ooh found something. Charlotte's father was Dunbar James Hunter who died in Ceylon in 1806. His will is on Ancestry and he leaves everything to his daughter Charlotte, and £50 to Charlotte's mother Seraphina Doncler, and names his mother and brother as her guardians

He names William Andrews a Executor. There is then a further paragraph detailing (I think) the reasons for the dispute to Chancery.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
Well done, Crawfie!
Old 13-07-18, 09:22

Great find, Crawfie!

Lt. Col. Dunbar James Hunter

Born Edinburgh 1773; Major in 19th Foot 4 November 1795; brevet Lieutenant-Colonel 1 January 1801; Lieutenant-Colonel 14 February 1804; superseded May 1804; retired June 1804.
Old 13-07-18, 09:30
Administrator

Brilliant work everyone! Especially Crawfie!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update