View Single Post
Old 29-10-11, 10:08
Administrator

Thanks, Julie. I also found his burial - 17 May 1863 at All Saints, Clayton le Moors, Richard Houghton age 66, abode Albert St.

This is the 1861 census entry:
Albert St., Clayton le Moors, Lancashire
Richard Houghton Head Mar 60 Retired Farmer(!) Lancs Clayton le Moors
Ann Houghton Wife Mar 48 Do Do
Richard Do Son Un 15 Cotton Weaver Do Do
James Do Son 13 Do Do Do

OH says Clayton le Moors is near the other places. Also that Pickup Bank is a tiny hamlet in the wilds.

I'll update post #1 later so it's all together and I can see if anything is still missing. I found his parents' marriage 28 Jan 1799 at St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Edward Houghton, innkeeper of the parish of Blackburn, and Betty Duckworth, widow of the parochial chapelry of Haslingden. I was worried it might not be the right couple because there are some baptisms of children of Edward and Betty before that, but then I found details of the marriage licence and Edward was a widower so he must have had a previous wife also Betty. Abode is Yate Bank on the marriage licence. I wonder whether Rothwell Houghton is Edward's brother or father. I had a quick look last night for Rothwell Houghtons and there was one with a different spelling born in Suffolk in 1735. Anyway, got to go out now but I'll come back to this later.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update