Thread: Jane Laurence
View Single Post
Old 29-01-10, 08:50
Administrator

Oops, forgot to put her husband's name in! That's what comes up typing it up in a rush before taking daughter to school, thanks Elizabeth.

Laurence was her maiden name, and Brown her married name.

The only other info I have is:

The witnesses at the wedding were James Wacogne and Raynham W Stewart, but I think they were most likely friends of her husband
Spinster, full age, residence Hampstead - not very helpful!

Extract from her husband's will:
Whereas under or by virtue of the Settlement made of my marriage with my late wife dated the twenty sixth day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventy six and made between myself of the first part my late wife therein described by her then name of Jane Lawrence of the second part and Charles James Macintosh and Thomas Brown of the third part divers trust funds are settled in trust for myself during my life and after my decease upon trust for my issue under which I have a testamentary power of appointment over such trust funds in favour of all or any exclusively of the others or other of my children or remoter issue in such shares and manner as I may think fit...

Charles James Macintosh seems to have been involved in Walter's company, and I would think Thomas Brown was Walter's cousin Thomas Marshall Brown, but I've never been able to work out whether the money was Walter's originally which he gave to Jane as a settlement, and it then reverted to him on her death, or if it was hers originally. If only I could see a copy of the marriage settlement! Or if the will quoted it in full!

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry