View Single Post
Old 13-10-23, 20:41

My dad is 76% English and NW Europe, 10% Sweden and Denmark, 7% Wales and 7% Scotland. It's a bit wishy-washy really - 7% "could be 0-26%", but 10% "could be 0-19%" - this is very wide range and somewhat contradictory - could there be more Scotland than Sweden?

76% "can range from 62-100%". Take a stab in the dark!

All my research shows that back to the beginning of parish records all his ancestors lived in England, south and east of Shropshire - Shropshire, Warwickshire, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Norfolk, Berkshire, Hampshire.

My take on it is - NW Europe - those who might have been Norman and came over with William and there is just too much intermingling to distinguish England from NW Europe.

Sweden and Denmark - from his Angle and Saxon ancestors.

Wales - those who trickled through to Shropshire or just Celtic from the West and South.

His Scottish bit I figured was just some generalised Celtic/Gaelic remnants.

I was surprised that the Sweden/Denmark was so low, and the Germanic bit was taken away as several of his ancestors were from Sussex and Hampshire and I thought there might have been more Angles and Saxon DNA.

In comparison, Mum is 52% England and NW Europe (Range 46-65%), 28% Ireland (4-28%), 17% Scotland (range 0-32%) and 3% Germanic Europe (0-26%). In the last update she lost her little bit of Sweden/Denmark/Norway.

Her ancestors did indeed come from Scotland and Ireland, and Lancashire, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Warwickshire and Northamptonshire.

So, she has Germanic (Angles and Saxons) but no Sweden/Denmark from her East Anglican ancestors.